Legal residents of the Dutch Caribbean may be eligible to renew their U.S. visa by mail in lieu of coming to the U.S. Consulate in Curaçao in person.
In order to qualify for renewal of a U.S. visa by mail, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a legal resident of the Dutch Caribbean and currently physically present in the Dutch Caribbean
- Applicant must be renewing a U.S. visa in their possession
- Applicant’s previous U.S. visa must not have been issued with a limited validity timeframe and must not contain the annotations, “CLEARANCE RECEIVED” or “ESTA RECORD REVIEWED”
- Applicant’s previous U.S. visa must not be more than one year expired
- Applicant’s previous U.S. visa must be a category B1/B2, C1/D, P, F, M, or J visa. (Note that applicants renewing an F visa must either be attending the same institution listed on the previous visa or continuing in the same course of study as the previous visa. You do not qualify if you have changed both the institution and the course of study.)
- Applicant cannot have been subsequently refused a U.S. visa after the issuance of the U.S. visa they wish to renew
- Applicant must be renewing their U.S. visa in the same name and nationality as their previous U.S. visa
- Applicants 14 years-old and over must have provided digital fingerprints at the previous visa interview (for example, a child who was under 14 at the previous interview and did not provide fingerprints cannot renew by mail and must make an appointment in person).
For applicants who meet all of the above criteria, please prepare the application package with the following:
- Applicant’s original passport with at least six months validity remaining
- Applicant’s previous passport that holds the valid or expired U.S. visa
- Confirmation page of application form DS-160
- One U.S. visa-sized photo (2 in x 2 in) (5 cm X 5 cm) on a white background (read more for photo requirements)
- Cashier’s check in U.S. dollars made payable to “U.S. Disbursing Officer” in the amount of $160 USD [Note: This is the only method of payment when renewing by mail. We do not accept cash, credit card, or personal checks by mail. Please note the check must be made out exactly using these instructions and amounts.]
- Applicant’s proof of legal permanent residency in the Dutch Caribbean (copy of front and back of local identification or copy of civil registry certification)
- Applicant’s original I-20, DS-2019, or approved I-797 forms for applicable F, M, J, and P visa applicants
- If applicant is under 14 years of age, a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate, a copy of the parent’(s’) passport(s) bio details page, and a copy of parent’(s’) valid visa(s).
- A self-addressed, pre-paid courier (DHL) envelope to return the new U.S. visa (please note the tracking number of the return envelope in order to track it once shipped). Please note that only DHL will be accepted.
Please submit the above documents in a sealed envelope to the U.S. Consulate General Curacao by using commercial courier service (DHL only) to:
U.S. Consulate General
J.B. Gorsiraweg #1
U.S. visa renewals by mail are usually processed within two weeks.
Please note that the U.S. Consulate General in Curacao reserves the right to require any applicant who applies to renew their U.S. visa by mail to physically present themselves for an in-person interview if requested.