Social Security

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States.

Individuals residing in the Dutch Caribbean who require social security services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Santo Domingo or in the United States .

Please, be advised that the U.S. Consulate in Curacao can no longer accept consultations regarding Social Security issues.

For more information or any questions about the services provided at the FBU in Santo Domingo and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: You can also reach them via email or by completing the FBU Inquiry Form.

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s web page, Service Around the World.

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

Because the Consulate is a non-claims taking post, the Consulate only accepts Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) claims and forward them to the Department of Veteran Affairs Office. The Department of Veteran Affairs website offers details of benefits available, and downloadable benefits forms.

The Office of Personnel Management website offers information for federal employee benefits such as retirement programs, thrift plans, and health insurance.


The Department of Labor website offers information on benefits programs such as the Family and Medical Leave Act and workers’ compensation programs, (Black Lung, FECA, Longshore).

The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) administers comprehensive retirement-survivor and unemployment-sickness benefit programs for the nation’s railroad workers and their families. The RRB also administers certain Social Security benefit payments and railroad workers’ Medicare coverage.