Child and Family Matters

Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met.  The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. If the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name.

Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States.

Please read these instructions carefully before coming to your appointment as failure to arrive prepared may result in you having to make a new appointment on a different day.

The application form for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is called DS-2029.

We require you to complete the DS-2029 application and printed on one-sided pages or by hand. Please do not sign it.

Do not leave any items blank. For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable). Click to view a sample completed DS-2029 (PDF 1.4MB) and a guide of DS-2029 questions translated into Spanish (PDF 1.25MB).

Providing exact dates of physical presence in the United States for U.S. citizen parents is required.  Exact dates of physical presence should begin on the date of the parent’s birth (if born in the United States) or first entry to the United States and run through the date the child applying for the CRBA was born.  Failure to provide exact dates on the DS-2029 before the date of the interview will result in having to reschedule the appointment.

You can apply for your child’s first United States passport at the same time as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Follow all steps required to apply for a United States passport for a minor here:

On the day of your appointment, you will need all of the following and submit photocopies of each for your child’s file:

Child’s original birth certificate issued by the civil registry. The name of the applicant should match their birth document(s). Material changes to the applicant’s name must be supported by an amended document or other name change evidence. An affidavit from the parents is not sufficient to establish a material name change. The only exception to this, as outlined in the FAM, is when obtaining an amended birth certificate would present substantial hardship, or if local vital records offices will not amend a birth certificate.

Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship, such as an original U.S. birth certificate, passport, CRBA, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship.

Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s): The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present documents proof of their physical presence in the United States, regardless of immigration status. Valid time includes when undocumented, as a Legal Permanent Resident, or as a U.S. citizen. All physical presence must have occurred prior to the birth of the child. Good examples of proof of physical presence includes vaccination records, baptismal certificate, military records, elementary and middle school report cards, high school and college transcripts and diplomas, income tax return, W2s (from employment held while in the United States), Social Security Statement, etc. The more you can provide, the easier it will be for the consular officer to approve the CRBA.

Proof of identity for each parent, such as a valid original passport, government-issued driver license, or government-issued photo ID.

Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s): If parents are married, provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate and any prior divorce decrees. If you have been previously married, please provide proof (such as a divorce decree or death certificate) for all previous marriages.

* If the child is already of school age, proof of identity such as his/her school certificate(s).

Pregnancy and birth records: dated ultrasounds containing the name of the mother, laboratory test results, doctor/ultrasound/hospital receipts, pictures of the mother pregnant, pictures of mother and baby immediately following the birth and during the hospital stay. Baby and mother’s hospital identification bracelets, crib card, discharge orders, paid hospital bill.

Proof of relationship between parents: For example, time-stamped photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos of the U.S. citizen parent with the newborn baby, Western Union money transfer receipts, birthday cards, email printouts, lease agreements, bank statements, home utility bills, or IRS tax declaration documents showing shared address, etc. Proof the couple was together at the time of conception, i.e. passport with entry and exit stamps, Dutch Caribbean or U.S. temporary or legal residency documents, etc.

* Documents in addition to those listed herein may be requested following the interview with a Consular Officer.

You must bring cash (US Dollars or Curacao Guilders) or credit card to pay the appropriate fees

You can make an appointment for passport services at the U.S. Consulate in Curacao by visiting our appointment calendar.

It is important to come to your appointment with all applications and documents already filled out (but not signed).  Please plan to arrive to the front gate 15 minutes before your appointment time to ensure you are through the security line in time.  Do not arrive more than 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.  If you arrive more than 15 late to your scheduled appointment, you may be asked to schedule an appointment for another day.